Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent: Day 2

The activity in the envelope today was "Make a list of 10 things you are thankful for." My goal this year is to help my children be more focused on others, on what they have, and on family time rather on themselves and what they get out of Christmas. I am looking forward to sitting down with the girls this afternoon and helping them write their lists. I have been thinking about what I will write on my list. There are so many more than 10 things for which I am thankful.

This list is in no particular order and is my no means a complete list, just what my little brain could come up with this morning:


1. My husband. He is an amazing man, who traded in a life of bachelorhood to take on a whole family, including drama surrounding the biological father of my 3 girls. He loves me, inspires me, challenges me and makes me laugh. I can't imagine a day without him.

2. My 4 precious children. Moms know, there are no words to express how you truly feel about the little people God has entrusted in your care. I would give up everything to ensure their happiness and well being.
3. My parents. They have been amazingly supportive through some incredibly rough years.
4. My in laws. My mother and father in law have taken my daughters and me into their family with loving arms. They are fun and caring people I love to be around, and they are fabulous grandparents to all 4 of my children.
5. My friends. As a mom, I spend most of my time at home (or working my part time job). I am rarely without my children, or at least one child, so time to cultivate friendships is very limited. Friendships at this stage of the game have to survive on much less face time than friendships earlier in life. But at the same time, they are so much more important.
6.Coffee, my first love. I can't imagine a day without it, either. ;)
7. The exersaucer. Our house is not baby proof and our infant is mobile. Need I say more?
8. The internet. How did we get along without Google for so long?
9. Facebook. Honestly, I get questions answered, set up playdates, find out about sales, hear the latest news about friends. . .
10. Texting. It's how I stay connected with my hubby, even when we have such opposite schedules.
11. Eggo Waffles. It's the easiest and fastest breakfast for all 5 of the non baby food eating members of this family.
12. DVR. It allows Ryan and I to watch our favorite shows together, which, let's face it, is as close to a date as he and I are going to have right now.
13. IMDB. Just ask my hubby, EVERY time we watch a show, there is at least one time I say "WHERE do I know that guy from???" IMDB to the rescue!
14. Karen, my hair dresser, who has been so generous and has been donating her services to me because she is generous and knows how difficult things have been for me over the past few years financially.
15. Babycenter. I don't go on that website anymore, but nearly 5 years ago I joined a group made up of other pregnant mommies and they have proved to be the most wonderful, supportive, amazing group of women I have ever "met."
16. The library. Free movies, video games, books. It's the poor family's best friend.
17. "Handydowns" or borrowed clothes. My kids would pretty much be naked without them.
18. The fact that my 3rd child is potty trained. I can deal with a baby in diapers.
19. Second (and third and forth) chances. I'm living proof that the second time around things can be totally different.
20. The things we as Americans take for granted: access to health care, clean drinking water, freedom to chose things like how we worship and where we shop.
21. That it's the Christmas season. Even when we are struggling so badly just to make ends meet, the Christmas lights outside, the music on the radio, the Christmas DVDs from the library all add an element of cheer to our lives.
22. My sewing machine and the fact that my hubby WAY over bought fabric last Halloween. I gave him SUCH a hard time last year, but without it, I wouldn't have been able to make our stockings this year.
23. That I married a Bears fan. I see what happens when Bears fans have the misfortune of falling in love with a Packers fan (**shudder**).
24. That while we have come dangerously close, we have never have had to know what it is like to be without food, shelter, heat or electricity.
25. Last, but most certainly not least, for God, through whom all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment